- Analyze the forces along a cantilever excavation support wall.
- Explain the difference between the at-rest condition, active pressure, and passive pressure in teh context of excavation support systems. Note: Slight error in slides - Active and Passive soil pressures should be computed as noted below:
- Compute the balance between active and passive earth pressure in a cantilever excavation support system
- Solve simulataneuous equations to determine the depth (D) and point of rotation (z)
- Find the location of the maximum moment
- Compute the maximum moment and check the adequacy of the support system.
- Example problem for designing a sheet pile excavation support system. Example follows previous exam problems with the addition of a section selection portion.