The thesis topic “ANALYSIS AND DESIGN OF BUILDINGS AIDED
COMPUTERS “, has been developed in order to serve as educational tools to all those who wish to get started using a program of analysis of buildings, in this case the ETABS program.
The research was divided into 6 sections, which are described below:
- In Chapter 1, the introduction, which explains the need to use develops computer program for analysis of structure.
- Chapter 2 presents a brief historical reference, where the evolution of software analysis and design of structures is narrated, as well as existing facilities for these pre-processing of data, analysis and post-processing them.
- In Chapter 3, the tools offered by the ETABS program for the creation of the structural model of the building (modeling), analysis and design of its elements in reinforced concrete are described.
- In Chapter 4, the structural characteristics of an actual building described office, the considerations taken into account in developing the model in ETABS and seismic parameters used in Chapter 5 for the spectral response analysis. It also mentions the different information that can be displayed both in tabular form and graphically by the program after testing.
- In Chapter 5, shown step by step in the creation of structural program ETABS building model described in Chapter 4, the development of the spectral response analysis and design of reinforced concrete elements typical the building, in order to familiarize themselves with the tools provided.
- In Chapter 6, the conclusions of the investigation are presented.
Then the body of the thesis is the bibliographic references and annexes (Annexes A and B). Annex A, which has a chart explaining the contents of the CD and Annex B the full of the work, in doc and pdf format, along with the “Model Files” folder which contains the files required to create the model step by step building, developed in Chapter 5.
All proposed structures before being analyzed must be previously designed and modeled. At the stage of creating the model (modeling), the actual structure through a simplified construction of the elements that comprise shown. It is very important that their behavior in order to prevent more elements that are needed by unnecessary refinements that are used delay analysis is understood.
In general, the structural analysis programs allow modeling of a structure, the numerical data processing and analysis of the results through the stages of pre-processing, processing and post-processing, respectively.
Currently, the modeling of a structure through these programs is not complicated, as in the stage of pre processing has various tools that facilitate the drawing and visualization model.
Following the modeling phase, it should identify and analyze the stresses and strains in the structure. This technical analysis matrix structures (AME) and analysis by the finite element method (FEM) is used, involving a large number of numerical calculations, so it is essential to use a computer program.
In view of the current importance of these programs in the analysis of structures is that it has made this research work, in which have been specifically developed the capabilities of ETABS program, through the explanation of the facilities offered in stages of pre-processing, processing and post-processing.
This program is aimed at the analysis and design of buildings and it has a specialized environment.
To illustrate the capabilities of ETABS program, modeling, analysis and design of reinforced concrete elements typical of a real office building is further presents, as an example.