collection and field-testing to using a model for system design and complex operational tasks.
The 800-page book includes extensive material from an international team of experts from both academia and consulting firms. Topics include:
- A thorough review of water distribution theory
- Primary sources of data for building water distribution models
- Demand allocation and projection
- Energy efficiency evaluation, flushing simulation, and solving operational problems, such as inadequate fire protection
- Field testing techniques and model calibration approaches
- Identifying and resolving potentially expensive problems, such as undersized piping, inadequate pumping, and poor water quality
- Preparing systems for special events, such as power outages, taking tanks offline, and system contamination
Advanced Topics Featured
- In-depth coverage of optimization techniques for model calibration, system design, and pump operations.
- Advanced water quality modeling topics including tank mixing, water quality solution algorithms, sampling techniques, tracer studies, tank design, and maintenance of adequate disinfectant residuals.
- Integration of SCADA systems with water distribution modeling for estimating model demands, initial conditions, and control settings; forecasting system operations; calibrating extended-period simulation models; streamlining water quality analysis; and estimating water loss during a main break.
- The essentials of transient analysis including the causes and sources of transients, as well as the potential effects of transients on water distribution systems.
- Application of GIS technology for skeletonization, demand allocation, and pipe break analysis; discussion of the technological issues that arise when integrating GIS and water distribution modeling; and the current state of the technology.
- Use of models to assess water system vulnerability and security, respond to emergencies in real-time, simulate contamination events, prioritize physical security improvements, and unravel past contamination events.
About the Software Included
Each book within the Water Modeling Collection from the Bentley Institute Press includes academic-licensed versions of the professional software covered.
WaterCAD is the world’s leading solution for water distribution hydraulic modeling. The included CD-ROM contains problem data files in both System International and English units, WaterCAD documentation, and interactive tutorials and lessons.